Phoenix – The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors named a citizens panel this week which will choose candidates to be appointed to the Legislative District 4 seat in the Arizona House of Representatives. This was the next step in the process outlined in A.R.S. § 41-1202 following the resignation of State Representative Jesus Rubalcava.
Legislative District 4 runs along the southwestern border of Arizona and includes portions of Maricopa, Pima, Pinal and Yuma Counties. State law requires that the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors fill the vacancy because the resigning legislator resides in Maricopa County.
“LD 4 includes voters in District 4 and 5 here in the county,” said Supervisor Steve Gallardo, District 5. “We are working together and also including citizens from Yuma County to sit on this panel and help decide who will represent them.”
The members of the panel are:
- Lenore Stuart – City of Yuma Resident
- Emma Torres – City of Somerton Resident
- Cathy Hozian – City of Goodyear Resident
- Shelle Schlosser – City of Goodyear Resident
- Vic Peterson – City of Buckeye Resident
- Cynthia Del Sol – City of Goodyear Resident
- Mike Melton – City of Buckeye Resident
“State law dictates this process and it has to happen quickly,” said Supervisor Clint Hickman, District 4. “I want thank these seven people for devoting their time and I trust they will send the board a list of qualified candidates.”
By law, the appointee, like Rubalcava, must meet the following qualification requirements:
- a registered Democrat residing in the Maricopa portion of Legislative District 4
- resided in Arizona at least three years
- resided in Maricopa County at least one year
- at least 25 years of age
The Board of Supervisors will appoint one person from the list submitted by the citizens panel to fill the vacancy.
For legislative district boundaries, see http://www.azleg.gov/images/LegislativeDistrictMaps/LegislativeDistrict04.pdf
Applicants should send their letters of interest along with a resume to the Office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, 301 W. Jefferson, 10th Floor, Phoenix, AZ 85003 or ClerkBoard@mail.maricopa.gov. Applications will be accepted through Friday, August 4, 2017, but should be submitted as soon as possible. All applicants are subject to background checks.